Apologies again for neglecting this blog. Between some late nights at work and the fact that by the time I get home I'm basically "running on fumes" it has fallen by the wayside a bit. But I haven't forgotten about my little tenant. It's a bit hard to when I'm still using 2 pessaries a night and having weekly scans.
The last scan we actually got to see Hernlet moving, which was really bizarre, especially since I can't feel it. I think s/he objected to dildo cam disturbing his or her serenity and tried to move away. We get little photos after each of these scans, but because it is a fairly basic machine, you don't get a huge amount of detail. Still, the sonographer was able to point out the orbits of the eyes and where the limbs were forming. I have to say though, with the greatest respect to my unborn child, in the photo we got s/he looks a bit like something from "Close Encounters". I would try to scan the picture but I'm really not sure it would come out.
Friday is the last of these quick pregnancy check scans. Sunday (by my calculations) I will be 12 weeks. Tuesday is the big one: the NT (nuchal translucency) scan. This is where they measure the thickness of the back of the baby's neck. This result is combined with the results of a blood test (which I had about 10 days ago) to give you a risk ratio for Down Syndrome and a couple of other chromosomal disorders. As I'm 33, my age-related or 'background' risk is already higher than a woman in her 20s but all will come down to the results of these tests. From my reading I believe that anything higher than 1:300 is considered 'high risk'. If the result comes back as high risk we will be offered a definitive test: either amniocentesis, which is done at around 16 weeks or chorionic villus sampling (CVS), which can be done at 12 weeks. Both carry a small risk of miscarriage. I am desperately hoping that my results come back 'low risk'. Joe and I have discussed it and we don't think we could continue the pregnancy knowing that the baby had DS. But I think it would be incredibly 'cruel' - if you can use that word for something that's really bad luck - for us to get this far and get bad news. I am trying not to think about it too much as I realise that worrying won't help.
Provided we get good news on Tuesday, I should be in a position to 'come out of the closet' and announce this pregnancy. The idea of that is almost as surreal as seeing the Hernlet moving around on the ultrasound screen. I realise that things can still go wrong after 12 weeks but I figure some time in the next month or so I won't be able to keep it a secret anyway (plus I think if I make them wait much longer, my parents' heads might explode!) ;) At the moment I don't have a clear "bump", I just look like I've been to too many all-you-can-eat restaurants.
Anyway, here's hoping for a good result on Tuesday. I will try to update then.